Cleveland Zoo at Wade Park
In 1882, Local Philanthropist and Businessman Jeptha Wade donated 73 acres of land and 14 white-tailed deer to the city of Cleveland. This gift marked the start of Cleveland's first zoo. Two years later, the city built a Victorian-style deer barn and added a collection of animals: raccoons, foxes, bears, and a flock of Canada geese. Soon, the Cleveland Zoo at Wade Park featured prairie dogs, ostriches, and even Minnie the elephant, acquired through the Zoo's Pennies from Children campaign in 1907.