Pachyderm Building

(Historical Locations)

In 1955, Zoo staff and supporters organized an African safari and obtained three elephants, two hippos, two rhinos, three giraffes, and many smaller animals. A year later, the Zoo's Pachyderm Building opened to house many of the animals acquired on the safari. The underlying structure of the Pachyderm Building formed the foundation of the African Elephant Crossing exhibit which opened in 2011.


Photos:

}